Wednesday, December 11, 2013

CHRISTMAS PREP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5v07eIFfNY
Song of the day: Little Drummer Boy (Play as you read)

Twelve degrees outside, but exhilaratingly warm compared to our eleven straight days of single-digit weather. Too cold to go into the garage for a box of kleenex, or get the mail, or run to the store. Everyone in a giddy mood now - saw three high school boys in shorts on my Abby-and-Alex drop-off this morning (we did agree that you wouldn't catch girls in shorts because "It's dumb"). The sun electrifies the snow, making it blindingly bright. It is still cold enough to make that screechy crunch noise that Rachael hates but I like, when you walk across the snow.

Chester snores on the couch (why can't an 80# dog with stiff joints stay on the floor?) and Otis is at my feet. It has been a boring week and a half for them, no walks and everyone too cold to throw the ball. The undecorated Christmas tree fills the dining room with Noble fir aroma, the wonderful buttermint candle fills the kitchen air.  

I can think of 15 things I should be doing:  ordering leis, decorating the house, throwing the ball for poor antsy Otis, sorting out my winter clothes, talking to Sunrise about Grandpa's charges, buying strawberry Ensure for him (ugh!), making minestrone soup (yum!), cleaning out my emails, cleaning out the freezer, on and on. And here I am blogging and listening to Steve Martin videos. I am paralyzed by too much to do! And no, I can't even do just one small thing, don't even trot that one out.                                             

The Canada geese arrived about a week ago. Suddenly they are everywhere, their cries fill the air at sunset - rush hour on the highway is also rush hour in the sky.





No comments:

Post a Comment