Wednesday, January 1, 2014

NEW YEAR'S DAY

Last night we did the usual New Year's ritual: we stayed up late, watched some Twilight Zone, played Life (I won, mostly because I discovered $500,000! in buried treasure), ate cherry cheesecake and drank apple cider. Rachael even made it to midnight, Abby left a party early to come celebrate with us - lucky for her because Alex reported it turned into a "couple's cuddle-fest". We drank cider out of the Porto-sippers Sam had bought me for my birthday (I have yet to try them with port). They look like tiny elf-size unusually-elaborate glass watering pitchers.

Today it is mild and sunny, and I look forward to the monthly calendar's prediction that we gain 45 minutes of sunshine by the last day. At about 10:00 a.m. the sun is shining through a light snowstorm. I read in the paper about Claire Davis' memorial at the stock show coliseum at 1:00. Abby steadfastly refuses to go, despite the fact everyone she knows will be there. It seems to be a giant thing - 6000 seats will be full, there will be horses, undoubtedly all the Arapahoe kids will sit together. Supposedly the local channels will cover it, I would like to see if they honor the two officers who ran toward the shooter. One of them was Rod Mauler, Mike Hosanna's ex-cop friend who is a security officer at Arapahoe. I assume Abby has had enough of the whole shooting thing, but I want it thoroughly dealt with and not resurfacing in five years when something brings it up for her. The more it is discussed, the less powerful it becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment